The school, which will officially come into existence on July 1, 2014, will be part of the College of Arts and Sciences at IU Bloomington. It will serve as the university’s pre-eminent site for teaching, research and service about the understanding and production of media. In doing so, it will unite the faculties of the journalism, telecommunications and film areas of study.
Journalism’s Lesa Hatley Major will serve as associate dean of the new school. Committees are at work devising curriculum, planning space and facilities at Franklin Hall, and gathering student input about courses and extracurricular activiites in preparation for the launch.
- School officially launches July 1, 2014.
- Curriculum and new degree programs will be in effect for freshmen entering IU in fall 2015.
- Franklin Hall, under renovation now, will open in early 2016 as the new home of The Media School.
- Read a recap of the roundtable discussion with alumni Feb. 27 in Indianapolis.
- Press Release: Kelley Benham French to join Media School faculty
- Check out The Media School FAQ page.
- Read a recap of the roundtable discussion with alumni Jan. 30 in Chicago.
- Read a Q&A recap of the roundtable discussion with alumni Nov. 20 in Bloomington.
- Read a recap of the roundtable discussion with alumni Nov. 20.
- Read the transcript of a Nov. 12 online chat with Major.
Committees and tasks forces:
- Faculty Advisory Board
- Task Forces: Curriculum, faculty governance, research, space planning, staffing
- Ernie Pyle Legacy Committee
- Student Boards and Committees
- Provost Lauren Robel's letter to faculty of journalism, telecommunications and communications and culture (PDF format). (Oct. 18, 2013)
- Trustees approve new Media School. (Oct. 18, 2013)
- In a letter to faculty, College of Arts and Sciences Executive Associate Dean Larry Singell announces Lesa Hatley Major as associate dean of the proposed new media school. (Oct. 18, 2013)
- More background information
Questions or comments?
- Complete this online form to send us your ideas and suggestions for The Media School.
- Contact Lesa Hatley Major, interim dean of the School of Journalism and associate dean for The Media School.