|Ernie Pyle Scholar Jill Sorg explored London while working as an intern through the Summer in London program.|
About the students:
Since the program’s inception in 2006 with an inaugural class of 15 students, the program has grown in both quality and number of applicants. The freshmen honors students of 2013, for example, averaged 1381 in SAT scores, 31.6 in ACT and 3.92 in GPA. Their interests vary as well, from those who wish to work as reporters and broadcasters to those who plan academic careers.
These scholars are directly admitted to the journalism program and are journalism majors as soon as they set foot on campus. Called Ernie Pyle Scholars, these honors students are eligible to enroll in up to seven special honors courses, including four core courses.
About the program:
They also travel as a group, as near as Ernie Pyle’s birthplace in Dana, Ind., and as far as England, where they work as interns for eight weeks as part of the Summer in London program.
They travel to the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla., one of the most renowned centers for journalism studies in the United States, where they meet and learn from award-winning professionals. They also visit media organizations and network with alumni in other U.S. cities.
And, honors students have access to the many professionals who visit the school as speakers or guests. Some small groups have met with journalists such as William Safire, Lisa Ling, Bob Woodward, Maria Hinojosa and Byron Pitts, among others in the school’s Speaker Series.
Who is eligible:
Students entering the fall 2014 class are eligible to apply for the IU School of Journalism Honors Program if they meet any ONE of the following requirements:
- Score of 1270 SAT or above (verbal and math)
- Score of 29 ACT or above
- Have a GPA of 3.8 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Are in the top 10 percent of their graduating classes
How to apply:
- The first step is to apply for admission to Indiana University by Nov. 1 and indicate your interest in journalism.
- Once admitted, students who meet the requirements will be invited to complete IU’s Selective Scholarship Application.
- If you meet the minimum standards set for application to the honors program, your SSA application will be sent to the school and you will be considered for admission to the IU School of Journalism Honors Program.
- You also will be automatically considered for Direct Admit, Media Scholars and for freshman scholarships offered by the School of Journalism.
- Ernie Pyle Scholars Contract
- Ernie Pyle Scholars Expectations
- Ernie Pyle Scholars Mentor Expectations
- Ernie Pyle Scholars Travel Policy
- Ernie Pyle Scholars Probation Policy
- Contact Honors Program Director Jim Kelly, (812) 855-1708.
- Learn more about the IU’s Selective Scholarship Application.
- Learn more about the School of Journalism's scholarships.
- Read students' blogs about the Summer in London Program.