For 69 years, the High School Journalism Institute has been serving the journalistic needs of both high school students and teachers through a variety of programs. HSJI is located in Ernie Pyle Hall at Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind., approximately 50 miles south of Indianapolis. We serve people in Indiana schools and in other high schools across the United States and throughout the world.
The High School Journalism Institute serves as a continuing education outreach program for both in-state and out-of-state secondary school students and teachers.
HSJI provides a number of learning opportunities annually to achieve this service function:
- A series of intensive journalistic non-credit five-day workshops each summer intended primarily for staff members of secondary school media outlets as well as for high school students wishing to explore journalism as an academic or career interest;
- Several summer journalism workshop opportunities, some carrying graduate credit, for high school teachers;
- Consulting service by the director to Indiana high schools;
- Online resources supportive of secondary school journalism education.
Summer 2015 SessionsHigh school advisers:
- Workshop dates July 6-10 and July 12-16.
- Check out the offerings on the Teacher Workshop pages.
- Deadline to register is June 1.
- Learn about grants to attend HSJI.
High school students:
- Workshop dates are July 6-10 and July 12-16.
- Check out the Student Workshops.
- Deadline to register is June 12.
High School Journalism Institute
Ernie Pyle Hall 215
940 East Seventh St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7108
Director Teresa White
Administrative Services Coordinator Linda Johnson
Fax: (812) 855-1311
- Visit IU Journalism
- Indiana University Visitors Center
- Bloomington/Monroe County Convention and Visitors Bureau