For 67 years, the High School Journalism Institute has been serving the journalistic needs of both high school students and teachers through a variety of programs. HSJI is located in Ernie Pyle Hall at Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind., approximately 50 miles south of Indianapolis. We serve people in Indiana schools and in other high schools across the United States and throughout the world.
The High School Journalism Institute serves as a continuing education outreach program for both in-state and out-of-state secondary school students and teachers.
HSJI provides a number of learning opportunities annually to achieve this service function:
- A series of intensive journalistic non-credit five-day workshops each summer intended primarily for staff members of secondary school media outlets as well as for high school students wishing to explore journalism as an academic or career interest;
- Several five-day summer journalism workshops, carrying graduate credit, for high school teachers;
- Consulting service by the director to Indiana high schools;
- Online resources supportive of secondary school journalism education.
Important Dates 2013:
- June 17-21: Going Mobile: Publishing and Teaching on iPads
- June 17 to July 26: Independent Study for Journalism Educators
- June 24-28: Methods of Teaching Journalistic Writing
- July 8-12: Staff Retreat
- July 8-12: Practicum
- July 8-12: Student Skills Workshops
- July 14-18: Converged Newsrooms and Student Skills Workshops
Contact Information:High School Journalism Institute
Ernie Pyle Hall 212
940 East Seventh St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7108
Director Teresa White
Administrative Services Coordinator Linda Johnson
Fax: (812) 855-1311
- Visit the School of Journalism
- Indiana University Visitors Center
- Bloomington/Monroe County Convention and Visitors Bureau