Accredited programs adhere to a set of educational requirements and standards, and voluntarily undergo a self-study and review process every six years. Our next site visit and review is scheduled for the 2014-2015 academic year. For more information on ACEJMC and the vision, mission, standards and process involved in national accreditation, see this website.
Below, we provide data regarding our number of majors, the retention rate of those majors and the graduation rate. The tables also show how the program’s retention and graduation rates compare the IU’s at large.
- Contact Journalism Chair Bonnie Brownlee.
School of Journalism Undergraduate Enrollment
|Fall 2010||Fall 2011||Fall 2012||Fall 2013|
- Enrollment equals number of majors
- Official university enrollments do not include second majors
- Majority of journalism majors are admitted as sophomores
Student Retention Rates
|After second year||After third year||After fourth year||After fifth year||After sixth year|
- Retention rates for IUB show the percentage of students who remain at an institution or in a major after they begin coursework. Data is collected on cohorts each fall at the end of first week of classes. High retention rates indicate student satisfaction with an institution or program.
- Percentages include all journalism majors, including directly admitted and sophomore admissions.
- Journalism and Indiana University Bloomington lose about 1 percent of students to early graduation after the third year.
- Retention rates for journalism show the percentage of majors who, after being retained for one year, continue to be majors.
Student Graduation Rates
|After third year||After fourth year||After fifth year||After sixth year|
- Graduation rates are calculated by dividing the number of graduating students by the number of students in a cohort.
- Graduated journalism excludes degrees awarded prior to Sept. 1 of the cohort year (e.g., for fall 2005 cohort, excludes degrees awarded prior to Sept. 1, 2005). Excludes degrees earned from regional campuses. Includes BS and BA degrees in journalism earned from Bloomington campus from tracking start term through Aug. 31 of the tracking year (e.g., for the fall 2005 cohort, from Sept. 1, 2005, through Aug. 31, 2007, for “after second year”; from Sept. 1, 2005, through Aug. 31, 2008, for “after third year,” etc.).